The society represents the interests of its members and promotes cooperation between the members and their working fields. Among these working field are:
- automatic NL analysis and generation
- corpus engineering and corpus linguistics
- document processing and text technology
- information retrieval and knowledge management
- artificial intelligence and machine learning
- dictionaries and terminological databases
- machine translation
- human-machine communication
- multimedia and hypermedia
- tools for literary and linguistic research
There is a continuum between research and practical application. The GSCL seeks for cooperation between academia and industry and supports communication between CL students with a separate mailing list (cl-studierende [at] gscl.org, registration here).
The GSCL supports the cooperation with neighbouring disciplines (e.g., linguistics and semiotics, computer science and mathematics, psychology and cognitive science information science) and keeps contact to the respective associations. There are international cooperations with organisations like the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing (ALLC), and the Association for Terminology and Knowledge Engineering (TKE).